|ATV Offroad Fury 3|
|Publisher(s)||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Release date(s)||[US] November 2, 2004|
ATV Offroad Fury 3 is a racing simulator developed by Climax. It is one of the very few PS2 games to support 480p output. The game was only released in the United States for unknown reasons. It is the third in the Sony exclusive quadrilogy.
ATV Offroad Fury, a series developed by Rainbow Studios was left behind after the second installment. Climax decided to take over the reigns and continue the legacy. Rainbow Studios went on to develop the successful MX vs. ATV series. After developing 3 and 4, Climax left to partner up with Disney Games and Rockhard games to work on part of the successful PS3 arcade racer, Pure. Not much is known about Climax.
Unlike it's previous, this game is heavy on simulating real ATV riding. Preloading is back, but is done the same way. At the bottom of a jump, hold the left analog stick down, then when the player's ATV gets at the tip of the jump, quickly move the left analog stick up. The game has the same kinds of Single Player modes, such as:
- Quick Race: Choose a track of your liking and hurry to the finish.
- Championship: The game's main attraction. Choose an unlocked championship and participate in 5 random tracks, trying to get first place to get more points. (ex. being 1st get you 9 points, 2nd 5 points, 3rd 1 point, and the rest no points). All the points are added up at the end of the championship. The player with the most points wins and gets credits, which is required to upgrade your ATV, buy new ATVs, get new gear, and more.
- Waypoint Editor:NOTE: this mode requires a Playstation 2 (8 MB) memory card. This mode remains the same, choose a track the player has unlocked and edit waypoints anywhere they want. Waypoints are gates you must pass in order to keep your position. You can save and share waypoint tracks with friends.
- Training: Same as the last game, but a little more advanced. Due to this game being heavy on simulating real life ATV's, there are much more tricks to learn, skills to master, and much more things. Beating the training course successfully will award you with ravage talons (ATVs).
- Practice: Race any track and do an infinite amount of laps
- Time Attack: try and beat your own time on a track every lap
ATV Offroad Fury 3 also has some Multiplayer modes, such as mini-games, online, free roaming, and freestyle competition.
ATV Offroad Fury 3 was met with mostly positive reviews. IGN gave it a 9.2/10, giving it an Editors' Choice Award. IGN praised the game for its improved graphics and better soundtrack, but surprisingly gave no criticism.